Big job ad. Totally worth the read.
We’re changing things up at Maker Street and trialling a new way of working and as part of that change, we’re on the lookout for graphic, branding and creative designers with strategic minds and a keen interest in the business of design.
Maker Street is transitioning to a horizontal operating structure comprising of partners, associates and support staff – that’s it! This new operating model has helped us work toward a shared and collective studio empowering creatives to take control of their own future. A studio that encourages you to focus on generating new business for yourself (aka: finding the projects you’d like to work on, owning, managing and doing the work) while leaning on the support, systems, guidance and infrastructure of a fully operational studio.
If you’re looking for a 9 to 5 – this probably isn’t it.
If you enjoy working on projects that simply need prettier pictures – this isn’t the role for you.
If you need constant hand-holding and instructions on how to think – this won’t work for you.
We’re looking for designers with a proven ability to create and develop insightful and intellectual creative work. You’ll be driven by growth, able to manage yourself and meet tight deadlines without letting the quality of your work dissolve in the process. You’ll have a unique ability to identify everyday problems that could be solved with a bit of intentional and creative thinking.
You’re an achiever, an underdog, a fighter. You’ll do what it takes to get the job done and done to its highest standard. You’ll push yourself to learn more, achieve goals and be better, every day.
You’re frustrated with endless and traditional service-orientated design work. You’ve thought about ditching the agency life to start your own design studio so you can work on your own projects, but lacked the resources and support to do so.
You thrive in a creative environment. One that encourages you to explore, identify and develop ideas but you also understand the commercial impacts of the work you do.
- Transferrable design skills.
- 3(ish) years experience in a fast-paced studio or agency environment.
- An entrepreneurial mindset with a dream to open your own studio one day.
- A creative and inspirational lifestyle outside of your work. Passion can only take you so far!
- The bravery to push yourself toward the best idea – not the first!
- Strong account and client communication skills. (you will be managing your own projects!)
- Strong time and project management skills.
You’ll be responsible for…
- Contributing to the recruitment and growth of our interns when and where required.
- Driving the work from conception through to delivery on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Making confident design decisions and backing yourself with conviction to partners and clients.
- Exploring new tools and visual ways to execute ideas.
- Managing suppliers required to bring the project to life (Copywriters, Freelancers etc).
- Managing budgets for the projects you’re working on.
- Demonstrating commercial awareness on projects by highlighting concerns and proposing solutions around the standard of work being achieved within a reasonable time frame.
About Maker Street
Maker Street is built on a design first ethos. Our work is integral to a brands success and we use design principles to shape that businesses communication foundations so they can better articulate their distinction in market. We don’t do “brochures and website” – we help our clients design better businesses. Full stop. And we expect our team to lead with the same mindset.
That means, our people must have a broad thinking capability. Equal parts creative and strategic. Hands-on and versatile. It’s your job to ensure your work has a commercial and tangible impact on our clients brands.
How it works?
As an associate designer, you’ll be employed to assist our partners in their day-to-day activities across multiple disciplines in varying capacities for a minimum of 3 years upon which you may be offered a promotion with an option to secure equity in the mothership with more responsibility, shared risk and even greater opportunity.
Equity in Maker Street Studios will be dependant on specific, performance based criteria including client sentiment, creative capability, enthusiasm for the growth of the studio and your ability to generate additional top-line revenue for the studio.
A true entrepreneurial spirit will be paramount in your success at Maker Street.
This is not a role for the faint heart.
This role is a hybrid full-time role. You’ll be working both remotely and in the studio in Brisbane. You’ll be treated as an integral part of the business and expected to treat the studio as if it were your own (remembering that one day it will be – all stars aligning).
We’re encouraging salary negotiations on this role depending on your experience, body of work and what you’ll bring to the table. Sell yourself.
- Applicants must be formally trained in brand design, graphic design or motion design. (Diploma/Bachelor).
- Able to demonstrate strong communication skills.
- Able to demonstrate entrepreneurial thinking.
Please forward PDF Portfolio’s only, CV’s and a Cover Letter explaining what you plan to bring to the studio, how you’ll thrive in this role and what you’re looking for out of your career to email@example.com
Shortlisted applicants will be offered an in-formal interview to explain what they’d like to achieve in this role and how they’d define their success in this position.
Apply for this position
If you would like to apply for this role, please submit your details below. Please also note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.